Information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you browse through any Web site, certain personal information about you can be collected. We automatically collect and temporarily store only the following information about your visit:
- The Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our Web site;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The searches you make;
- The pages you visit, and;
- If you linked to our Web site from another Web site, the address of that Web site.
We use this information to help us make our site more useful to visitors, to learn about the number of visitors to our site, what part of the site they are interested in, how long they use our Web site, and the types of technology our visitors use. WE DO NOT TRACK OR RECORD INFORMATION ABOUT THE IDENTITY OF INDIVIDUALS AND THEIR VISITS.
We do not use "cookies" on our Web site.
If You Send Us Personal Information
You do not have to give us personal information to visit our Web site.
If you send us an e-mail, or send us a message via our "Feedback," your identity and the contents of your message is covered by The Privacy Act. Please be assured that:
- The information will not be shared with anyone not on the staff of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- Your e-mail address will not be provided to any third party or used for any electronic mailing lists, Government or private.
- We do not create individual profiles with the e-mail information you provide or give it to any other organizations.
- The e-mail material, including your e-mail address and/or name will in no way be correlated or linked to the material that is automatically collected as described above.
- Our Web site does not collect information for commercial marketing.
The use we will make of your information is to:
- Consider your suggestions.
- Possibly respond directly to you for clarification.
- Process your request for materials, if you make one.
- Try and answer your questions, if you ask them.
Links to Other Sites
This Web site does not disclose, give, sell or transfer any personal information about our visitors, unless required for law enforcement or statute.
This site is maintained by the United States Government. It is protected by various provisions of Title 18, U.S. Code. Violations of Title 18 are subject to criminal prosecution in federal court.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, we employ software programs to monitor traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. In the event of authorized law enforcement investigations, and pursuant to any required legal process, information from these sources may be used to help identify an individual.
Questions about our privacy policies should be sent to the following: email@example.com. Thank you for using our Web site.
Last reviewed: 8/22/2007