What Is CollegeAIM and Why Is It Needed?
Developed by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) with leading college alcohol researchers and staff, CollegeAIM—the College Alcohol Intervention Matrix—is an easy-to-use and comprehensive booklet and website to help schools identify effective alcohol interventions.
While there are numerous options for addressing alcohol issues, they are not all equally effective.
CollegeAIM can help schools choose interventions wisely—boosting their chances for success and helping them improve the health and safety of their students.
How is CollegeAIM different?
CollegeAIM is distinctive because of the breadth of its research and analysis, the expertise of its contributors, and its user-friendly format. This version of CollegeAIM is based on updates completed in 2019, and provides:
- An extensive review of decades of scientific literature
- A multi-year collaboration involving 16 leaders in college alcohol intervention research
- More than 60 interventions rated for effectiveness, costs, and other criteria
- Two user-friendly matrices and other resources
How can schools use CollegeAIM?
With the help of CollegeAIM, school officials can:
- Review the individual- and environmental-level strategies to learn how their current strategies compare to other alternatives.
- Find new evidence-based options.
- Use the interactive strategy planning worksheet to help select a combination of approaches that meets the needs of their campus and their budget.